Merritt — July 13, 2020 — As of Monday, July 20th, 2020 the City of Merritt will be re-opening the Nicola Valley Aquatic Center (NVAC), as Phase 1 of the process.
When the NVAC reopens, there will be some restrictions in place that are necessary to protect our team and patrons from the spread of COVID-19. These restrictions have been identified as necessary by Interior Health, WorkSafe BC, and the BC CDC. We would ask that our patrons respect these new adjustments and know that as we are permitted, we will relax the restrictions. Welcome to the new normal!
For the safety of City of Merritt staff and facility users, we ask that you read and follow the below instructions to ensure the Nicola Valley Aquatic Centre can remain open.
- Lexan guards have been installed at the front desk to help protect our front-line staff.
- Parts of the facility will be closed to the public and we ask that patrons respect all signs.
- There will be an on-site attendant during operational hours to ensure that protocols are followed and to provide periodic cleaning of high-touch surfaces.
- Anyone experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms must not enter the facility.
- Anyone that has travelled outside of Canada must refrain from attending for at least 14 days after their return.
- All patrons must respect the minimum 6 feet of physical distancing while at the facility and the new one-way direction flow.
- Existing memberships that have been suspended since March 18, will resume on July 20th. The missed months will be extended into the 2021 year or be credited.
- The NVAC pools will be operating:
- By reservations only (Max two reservations per call). Reservation length times vary during the day because of cleaning & hygiene, user groups, and aquatic classes. They fluctuate from 50 minute to 2.5-hour bookings.
- Hours of operation are Monday to Friday from 6am to 1pm, CLOSED FROM 1PM to 2PM, continuing from 2pm to 8pm.
- Saturday and Sundays from noon to 4pm.
- When a pool spot is selected and reserved, the patron must remain in that pool and not switch to the other pool because of strict occupancy loads and physical distancing.
- There will be a reduced number of patrons allowed at any time. Main pool capacity is 18 and the leisure pool capacity is 15.
- Staff asks that patrons come to the pool wearing their swimwear and carrying minimal belongings with them. Lockers are closed at this time. There will be plastic sanitized containers to place personal belongings in and a designated area to set them on the pool deck. Only the family change rooms will be open for showers before entry to the pool. After swimming only the pool deck shower will be available to rinse off.
- Patrons under the age of 13 must be accompanied in the pool by a paid adult (Over 16)
- The slide, diving board, rope swing, sauna, whirlpools and drinking fountain will remain closed.
- 1 pool washroom will be open and cleaned frequently during the day.
- The NVAC Gym will be operating:
- With a 4-person max. capacity and will only be available via call in reservation bookings. (Call ahead to book your 50-minute time slot)
- After use, gym equipment must be cleaned by the patrons with the provided disinfectant spray and paper towel.
- To help make social distancing easier on our patrons, we have moved some equipment and taped off other pieces. This will allow patrons to move to and from the different areas in the gym.
- Staff asks that patrons come to the gym wearing their workout gear and carrying minimal belongings with them. Lockers are closed at this time. There will be plastic sanitized containers to place personal belongings in and a designated area to set them on the gym floor.
- The pool change rooms will be closed to gym patrons for now and showers will not be available.
- The drinking fountain has been disabled and will also be closed for now – please bring your own hydration!
- 1 gym patron washroom will be open and cleaned periodically throughout the day.
We realize that this is not ideal for any of us. Please know that as this situation continues to evolve, we will continue to adjust whenever we can and however we are required to. We welcome positive comments and constructive suggestions and ask that you phone us at 250-378-6662.
Welcome back, we missed all of you!