Merritt, A Lifestyle Community: “The Country Music Capital of Canada” with a population of approximately 7,200 is inviting applications for the position of a Certified Engineering Technologist. A great place to live, work and play! Merritt is located in the beautiful Nicola Valley, at the crossroads of the Coquihalla highways, centrally located between Kelowna and Kamloops while only a three (3) hour drive from downtown Vancouver. The community of Merritt is rich in culture and arts, affords year round recreation and community facilities to meet every need. The climate is moderate.
The City of Merritt is positioning itself to be a resilient community with a strong asset management program in place and is seeking applications from candidates with proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of certified Engineering Technologist. Under the immediate direction of the Director of Engineering & Development, the Engineering Technologist is responsible for the coordination and inspection of municipal capital projects and development activities as they relate to roads, water, wastewater and facilities. This position will review preliminary and detailed design drawing submissions, perform fieldwork such as surveying, handle inspection and enforcement of municipal development infrastructure installations and assist the Public Works/Development Departments with troubleshooting infrastructure and development related issues. The Engineering Technologist is responsible for the collection of infrastructure data for the City of Merritt’s GIS system, preparation and/or coordination of municipal infrastructure planning reports, implementing detailed analysis of existing and proposed infrastructure, compiling and maintaining the City’s record drawings and infrastructure reports. This position also provides other general technical support to the Director and other municipal departments as required.
The pay rate is $38.06 (certified) (2019) CUPE Collective Agreement plus a comprehensive benefits package including extended benefits and pension.
Hours of Work
This is a full time position with hours of work as outlined in the CUPE Local 900 Collective Agreement.
• Civil Engineering Technology Diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution.
• Accredited or eligible for accreditation with ASTTBC.
• Demonstrated design and construction experience in municipal engineering projects: roads, water distribution, wastewater and utilities design.
• Demonstrated exceptional knowledge and ability in the preparation of cost estimates, tender documents, RFP’s, RFQ’s, EOI’s, etc. including specifications.
• Highly organized and demonstrated ability to work independently, under pressure, set priorities and meet deadlines.
• Excellent communication skills (oral and written) as well as the ability to deal with the public and coworkers in a diplomatic and courteous manner.
• Demonstrated experience in delivering superior customer service and working within a team environment.
• Demonstrated exceptional working knowledge of Microsoft applications, specifically Word and Excel.
• Strong working knowledge of AutoCAD and GIS applications.
• Minimum two years recent experience in a similar position, preferably in a civil/municipal setting.
• Valid BC Driver‘s License.
Current resumes reflecting applicants’ knowledge, skills and abilities relevant to the position and detailing education, qualifications and proof of required licenses/certificates/degrees will be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m., Friday, March 29, 2019 by:
Deputy Clerk/Human Resources Manager
City of Merritt
PO Box 189, 2185 Voght Street
Merritt, BC V1K 1B8
Or by email: email@example.com
The City of Merritt wishes to express their appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Date Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2019
Posting Expires: Friday, March 29, 2019
1. Provide a variety of engineering technical services for water, roads, sewer, parks drainage and related public works engineering projects
2. Plan and prepare proposed capital works projects for municipal infrastructure and public works operational repairs and installation
3. Liaise with the public, developers, engineers, consultants and contractors in providing engineering technical advice and guidance
4. Assist with inspection and monitoring of municipal service construction projects such as storm drains, sanitary sewers, water mains, curb and gutter, sidewalks and roads to ensure design requirements and specifications are adhered to and implemented
5. Assist with gathering construction information, transferring field data to engineered drawings, records and maps, prepare detailed design plan/profile drawings of proposed infrastructure services
6. Assist with the preparation of RFP’s, RFQ’s, EOI’s, contract documents and specifications
7. Assist with the preparation and checking of tenders, analyze and tabulate bids, provide recommendations on releasing of bonding documents
8. Assist with inspection of construction projects, project management and contract administration, supervising consultants and contractors and review of progress payments
9. Assist with review of engineered construction drawings and subdivision and development applications to ensure compliance with applicable bylaws
10. Check design criteria and assist with approving plans prepared by outside consulting engineers and development companies for related capital and development projects
11. Assist with preparation of conceptual drawings and presentations
12. Assist with preparing applications and updates for grants related to departmental projects
13. Assist with environmental monitoring such as in stream work, data gathering and input of GIS data
14. Assist with the preparation of departmental reports as required
15. Track projects and input variables into long term plans
16. Liaise with internal and external contacts such as staff, professional engineers, consultants, contractors, and the public regarding permitting requirements, applications and compliance, respond to related engineering inquiries and complaints
17. Ensure proper engineering standards and management
18. Practice and adhere to Work Safe BC and City policies and procedures
19. Report health and safety, security and risk management policies and procedures on projects
20. Provide project inspection
21. Prepare preliminary annual capital works budget briefings including estimation of construction costs, operational costs; prepare cost estimates for long term capital plans; maintain construction cost records and unit prices
22. Works in conjunction with other departments on various initiatives as assigned
23. Maintain professional and technical requirements for the position
24. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned