This page contains all info related to the COVID-19 situation in Merritt.
Please select the topic you would like more information about.
- Do not travel outside Canada
- Stay home if you’re feeling sick or have recently travelled outside Canada
- Practice physical distancing
- Gatherings with 50+ people should be cancelled or postponed
- Cleaning protocols are being increased across city facilities
- The risk of COVID-19 transmission continues to remain low for residents of British Columbia.
- Anyone who is concerned that they may have been exposed to, or is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, should contact their primary care provider or call 8-1-1.
- The Public Health Agency of Canada has set up a COVID-19 telephone information line at: 1-833-784-4397.
- More on COVID-19 from the Interior Health Authority
We encourage you to follow the same procedures as what is recommended during cold and flu season:
• Stay home if you get sick and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.
• Wash hands regularly with soap and water. This is the single most effective way of reducing infection spread.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way.
• Cover your mouth and nose with a sleeve/tissue and turn your head away from others when coughing or sneezing.
• Use tissues to contain secretions and dispose of them promptly in a waste container.
• Keep common surface areas like doorknobs, light switches and keyboards, clean and disinfected.
Effective Monday, August 4th, 2020 Merritt City Hall, at 2185 Voght Street, is open for limited hours (10:00 AM – 12:00 PM daily) and services.
This response is to ensure that the City will be able to continue to provide service to residents while taking every measure possible to ensure the safety of staff. During this time, residents are encouraged to contact municipal staff by email or telephone. For more information on coronavirus (COVID-19) within the City of Merritt contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-378-4224.
The City of Merritt is currently participating in BC-wide conference calls hosted by the Interior Health Authority. In our region, Interior Health has set up an Emergency Operations Center in Kamloops, which has been operational for the last 9 weeks. During this time, the City is working closely with Emergency Management BC and our local emergency services are sourcing protective equipment where required.
24 Hour Fire and Policing Service Notice
The Merritt RCMP is encouraging community members to call the Merritt RCMP detachment rather than in person visits unless absolutely necessary.
For more info contact the Merritt RCMP office at 250-378-4262.
- Application Form
- A map or sketch of property showing the location of the fire pit
- Pictures of the fire pit area that sufficiently show that all minimum distance requirements have been met (the fire inspector will not be physically inspecting any properties at this time).
- Proof of payment
- “Search for Biller” field – 3. Accounts Receivable
- “Account Code” – 112400255
- “Amount to Pay” – $25.00
- Full name, phone number and e-mail address are also required.
The City of Merritt would like to invite Nicola Valley residents to view these recreation resources below to help maintain active lifestyles while staying home and practising physical distancing. This resource webpage will be updated often as new information becomes available.
Rider Announcement from BC Transit – May 5, 2020
On June 1, 2020, BC Transit is returning to fare collection in all BC Transit communities. To do this safely, BC Transit is working with the Provincial Health Officer’s direction and installing vinyl panels on buses without full driver doors.
Enhanced cleaning on buses and at BC Transit facilities
Physical distancing onboard and limiting passenger capacity
The red line between driver and passenger zones
Vinyl panels on light duty buses
Mandatory Face Covering Policy is in effect as of August 24, 2020. BC Transit Coronavirus COVID-19 info is available at www.bctransit.com/covid19.
On City of Merritt and Tourism Merritt social media channels, we are inviting visitors to #ExploreMerritt online and plan for their future trip once things return to normal.
Information on Ebus regarding their response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) can be found at www.myebus.ca/news/our-response-coronavirus.
Currently postponed as of 7:00 p.m. April 21, 2020. Information provided by Q101.
- Home-Based Business Market scheduled for this Saturday has been CANCELLED
- Home Routes Concerts scheduled for Thursday, CANCELLED
- Merritt minor softball and softball BC has CANCELLED all practices and events to May 1st. More details to come
- Not-for-Profit Community Engagement Fair Fair hosted by CF Nicola Valley on May 2nd CANCELLED
- All services for Crossroads Community Church have been CANCELLED until further notice.
- All services for Trinity United Church are CANCELLED until further notice
- All services at the Free Evangelical Church have been CANCELLED until further notice.
- Merritt Sikh Society Programs CANCELLED until further notice
- Merritt Country Run for June is CANCELLED.
- Activities such as potlucks, luncheons and more at the Merritt Senior Centre have been CANCELLED until further notice.
- Friday night bingo for Nicola Valley Food Bank held at the Elks Hall CANCELLED until further notice.
- Wednesday afternoon bingo at the Elks Hall has been CANCELLED until further notice.
- City Of Merritt Recreational Facilities CLOSED including Merritt Civic Centre, Nicola Valley Aquatic Centre, Nicola Valley Memorial Arena, TNRD Merritt Library, Nicola Valley Courthouse Art Gallery,Visitor Centre at Baillie House.
- There are NO EVENTS for the remainder of the semester at the NVIT gym
- Royal Canadian Legion is CLOSED until further notice.
- All programming with SCHSS has been SUSPENDED until further notice.
- Merritt Mom’s and Families is CLOSED until further notice and will not be accepting clothes at this time.
- Nicola Valley Museum and Archives CLOSED until further notice.
- All City of Merritt Park playgrounds remain CLOSED to the public.
- All School District 58 playgrounds are CLOSED to the public until further notice.
- The ICS Teen Centre will remain CLOSED until further notice.
- FIERCE Merritt LGBTQ2+will again be CANCELLING meetings until further notice.
- Merritt Girl Guides in person meetings CANCELLED until further notice.
- All face-to-face teaching at NVIT is POSTPONED until further notice. For details visit NVIT.ca.
- Merritt Centennials office is CLOSED to the public. For more info phone Jared Thomas at 378-3604
- Nicola Valley Thunder Lacrosse is SUSPENDING all BCLA sanctioned activities.Online registration will remain open.
- Old Time Fiddlers meetings and workshops CANCELLED until further notice.
- Nicola Valley Community Band Meetings CANCELLED until further notice
- Merritt Vintage Car Club CANCELLED until further notice
- Merritt Community Choir Meetings CANCELLED until further notice
- Nicola Naturalist Society Meetings CANCELLED until further notice
- Alcoholics Anonymous Meetings CANCELLED until further notice
- Merritt Quilters Guild Meetings CANCELLED until further notice
- Merritt Volleyball Association Ladies Volleyfrat for this weekend CANCELLED.
- Shriners Meetings CANCELLED until further notice
- Navy League of Canada CANCELLED until further notice
- Bee Keeper Society meetings CANCELLED until further notice
- Scw’exmx Child and Family Services ‘Feel the Beat’ CANCELLED until further notice
Eligible Canadians quarantined can apply for Employment Insurance (EI) sickness benefits.
The establishment of a new dedicated toll-free phone number (1-833-381-2725) to support enquiries related to waiving the EI Sickness benefits.
Priority EI application processing for EI sickness claims for clients under quarantine.
Learn more about EI sickness benefits
- Merritt RCMP
- Thompson Nicola Regional District
- School District 58
- Interior Health Authority
- Merritt Regional Transit System
- Community Policing Crime Prevention Business Security Checklist
- Health Link BC
- BC Hydro – COVID-19 Updates
- Government of BC
- BC Parks Closures
- BC COVID-19 Symptom Self-Assessment Tool
- BC COVID-19 Information for Unsheltered People
- BC State of Emergency Extended
- BC Centre for Disease Control COVID-19 Updates
- BC Centre for Disease Control COVID-19 Harm Reduction and Overdose Response
- British Columbia Pandemic Provincial Coordination Plan
- Pandemic Preparedness
- Government of Canada
- How to Coronavirus-proof your Home
- Recommendations on protecting yourself and your community
- COVID-19 pandemic preparedness and planning materials from BC
- Guidance on mass gatherings from the World Health Organization
- Temporary foreign workers self-isolating
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities: COVID-19 Resources
- World Health Organization COVID-19 Situation Report
- Essential Services in B.C. during the COVID-19 pandemic – March 26, 2020
- WorkBC Merritt
- BCEDA #COVID19 Resources for BC Businesses Guide
- Small Business BC: Resources for Small Businesses Affected by Coronavirus
- BC Chamber of Commerce
- Province of BC – Support and Information
- Western Economic Diversification Canada: COVID-19 and the Western Canadian Economy
- Support for commercial truck drivers during COVID-19 crisis
- Business Development Bank of Canada
- Canadian Federation of Independent Businesses
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Government of Canada – Buy and Sell
- Government of Canada – Resources for Canadian Businesses
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan: Support for Canadians and Businesses
- Trade Commissioner
- Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association
- Destination BC
- Destination Canada