Community Policing Office
2026 Granite Avenue
Crime Prevention - What We Do
The Community Policing Office is a crime prevention office located in downtown Merritt at 2026 Granite Ave (Spirit Square). The CPO works with community partners to identify the root causes of crime and through education and awareness, strives to prevent and reduce crime in the community.
The Community Policing Office is a joint effort between the City of Merritt and the RCMP but it is not another RCMP detachment office. Rather the purpose of community policing is to encourage the community to become involved in crime prevention and crime reduction programs. If you are interested in volunteering for any of our programs, including working at the Community Policing Office, applications can be picked up at the CPO. Unless it is a youth focused program, volunteers must be 19 years of age, a resident of BC, and consent to an RCMP criminal records check.
The office is run by Community Policing Coordinator Marlene Jones in conjunction with RCMP Constable Tracy Dunsmore. They work with the community to formulate effective programs that make our community safer!
Monthly Focus Links
Protecting your RV / Trailer
Here are some Crime Prevention tips to help protect you and your trailer from theft.
1. Use a trailer hitch lock after parking the trailer
2. Park your trailer in a locked garage, secured storage facility, or a well-lit, fenced area.
3. Park the trailer so that the hitch is difficult to reach.
4.Use a high-quality chain and lock to secure the trailer to a fixed object, such as a tree.
5. Park another vehicle in front of the trailer, blocking the trailer in.
6. Document your trailer with photographs.
7. Install a tracking / recovery device on the trailer.
8. Use a tire boot/lock type device with locking lug nuts.
9. Lock all doors and windows on your trailer.
10. Check your trailer on a regular basis. There have been reports of individuals using others trailers as shelter and these occurances can result in significant damage over time.
Credit: BC Block Watch Society
Programs We Offer
There are also a variety of Crime Prevention and Community organizations that you may wish to learn more about:
Crime Stoppers Merritt & Nicola Valley
The Community Policing Office DOES NOT take Crime Stoppers tips and DOES NOT have any direct involvement in reported tips. If you would like to report a crime or follow up on a crime that you previously reported, please call 1-800-222-8477. Call 1-800-222-8477 if you have information on a crime that has been committed.