Phase 2 and Phase 3 Update:
We are happy to advise that we are ready to welcome home residents in Phase 2 on Saturday, November 27 at 12:00 PM (noon), pending final water testing results that will be received on Friday, November 26, 2021. The evacuation order for this area will be downgraded to an evacuation alert.
We will be providing information on day access for Phase 3 tomorrow Friday, November 26. It’s important to note that the city residents are returning to is not the same city they left.
Following are a few of the changes residents need to be aware of when returning:
- You will be on an evacuation alert and need to be prepared to leave on short notice.
- A boil water notice is in effect meaning that all water must be boiled before it is consumed.
- Limit water usage. The City is in the process of bringing additional wells online, and we will communicate with residents as soon as water can be more freely used.
- Prior to return, residents should acquire sufficient food and supplies to be self-sufficient as supplies within Merritt are currently limited.
- Garbage and recycling service will commence the week of November 29th, 2021 (commercial service will begin immediately).
- Reduced levels of snow clearing service.
- Reduced flows for fire protection, which is being partially offset by water tanker and water truck vehicles on standby.
- Hydro, gas, and internet utilities are all operational in the Phase 2 area.
- School District 58 is communicating directly with parents and students on school updates.
- Interior Health is planning to have the Emergency Room in the Nicola Valley Hospital and Health Centre re-opened on November 29, 2021 at 12:00 PM (noon).
- 9-1-1 service and BC Ambulance service is still available in the community with transport likely to Kamloops for any required hospital visit. Local physicians continue to offer telephone health care services.
The City of Merritt is hosting a virtual information session for residents on Saturday, November 27 at 3:00 PM. The session, which is being live-streamed as well as being posted to the City’s YouTube Channel, can be accessed at merritt.ca/watchmeetings. The intent of the information session is to answer general questions around the next steps. Residents can submit questions to email@example.com by Friday, November 26 at 3:00 PM. This is the first of many ways we will be providing updates and information to citizens including the establishment of a resiliency center to help property owners with recovery efforts.
“We are thrilled to be announcing the return of Phase 2. This is another major milestone in our journey towards recovery. It wouldn’t have been possible without the tireless efforts and thousands of hours put in by all of our emergency operations staff, first responders, and volunteers. I also wish to extend a heartfelt thank you to all our neighbours who have lent us resources over the last week to help expedite our recovery. We are stronger, together.”
– Mayor Linda Brown