Merritt, A Lifestyle Community: “The Country Music Capital of Canada” with a population of approximately 7,000 is inviting applications for the position of a permanent full-time Utilities Working Foreman. A great place to live, work and play! Merritt is located in the beautiful Nicola Valley, at the crossroads of the Coquihalla highways, centrally located between Kelowna and Kamloops while only a three (3) hour drive from downtown Vancouver. The community of Merritt is rich in culture and arts, affords year round recreation and community facilities to meet every need. The climate is moderate.
Under the general supervision of the Superintendent of Public Works, the Utilities Working Foreman performs a variety of duties. Some of these duties include coordinating and overseeing daily activities of Public Works crews related to the development and upkeep of municipal utility systems such as hydrants, water mains and meters, water distribution, storm and sanitary sewers, drainage ditches and dykes. The candidate may also have a diploma in Civil Engineering Technology (or an equivalent combination of education and experience in public works design and/or utilities construction and maintenance) and two years’ experience at a supervisory level (preferably in a Union environment) in the repair and maintenance of utilities and related infrastructure.
You will also schedule, co-ordinate and supervise the work to ensure an efficient and safe work environment, train new employees, participate in the development of long range plans and monitor your department budget expenditures.
The 2017 pay rate is as per the CUPE Collective Agreement.
Hours of Work
This is a full time position with hours of work as outlined in the CUPE Local 900 Collective Agreement.
• High School graduation.
• Strong leadership, strong interpersonal skills, and a proven team player.
• Ability to work independently, under pressure, set priorities and meet deadlines.
• Excellent communication skills (oral and written) as well as the ability to deal with the public and coworkers in a diplomatic and courteous manner.
• Demonstrated experience in delivering superior customer service and working within a team environment.
• Valid BC Class 3 Driver‘s License.
• Level 3 EOCP Water Distribution Certification or level 1 with the ability to obtain level 2 and 3.
• Level 2 EOCP Wastewater Collection or level 1 with the ability to obtain level 2.
• Level 1 First Aid.
• Diploma or Certificate in Civil Engineering Technology.
• Minimum two years supervising a work crew of 5 or more.
• Minimum two years recent experience in a similar position, preferably in a local government setting.
Current resumes reflecting applicants’ knowledge, skills and abilities relevant to the position and detailing education, qualifications and proof of required licenses/certificates/degrees will be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m., Thursday, November 30, 2017 by:
Deputy Clerk/Human Resources Manager
City of Merritt
PO Box 189, 2185 Voght Street
Merritt, BC V1K 1B8
Or by email: email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Date Posted: November 16, 2017
Posting Expires: November 30, 2017