Merritt, A Lifestyle Community: A great place to live, work and play! Merritt is located in the beautiful Nicola Valley, at the crossroads of the Coquihalla highways, centrally located between Kelowna and Kamloops while only a three (3) hour drive from downtown Vancouver. The community of Merritt is rich in culture and arts, affords year round recreation and community facilities to meet every need. The interior climate of the Nicola Valley is moderate.
Under the general supervision of the Superintendent of Public Works, the Equipment Operator II performs a variety of duties related to Public Works maintenance operations. Duties include performing pre-trip vehicle inspections and safety checks, routine maintenance, inspection, lubrication and fueling of equipment. There is a variety of work in this position including, operation of the loader, backhoe, vacuum truck and grader, and general maintenance activities.
The 2017 pay rate as per the Collective Agreement plus a comprehensive benefits package.
Hours of Work
This is a full time position with hours of work as outlined in the Collective Agreement.
• The successful candidate will possess a thorough knowledge of safe operation and maintenance practices and procedures related to each piece of equipment required for operation.
• As well, the incumbent must be skilled in accomplishing assigned tasks requiring a level of depth perception, far visual acuity to judge depths and heights at ground level with a high degree of accuracy from the cab of the machine.
• The incumbent must have considerable ability to work and perform under engineered drawings and grade survey stake markings.
• Thorough knowledge of road and utility construction practices and procedures is required.
• High School graduation.
• Ability to execute oral and written instructions.
• Air brake endorsement.
• Class 3 Driver’s License.
• Ability to work independently under pressure, set priorities and meet deadlines.
• Excellent communication skills (oral and written) as well as the ability to deal with the public and coworkers in a diplomatic and courteous manner.
• Demonstrated experience in delivering superior customer service and working within a team environment.
• Minimum two (2) years of public works operational experience, preferably in a local government setting.
Current resumes reflecting applicants’ knowledge, skills and abilities relevant to the position and detailing education, qualifications and proof of required licenses/certificates/degrees will be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m., Thursday, November 30, 2017 by:
Deputy Clerk/Human Resources Manager
City of Merritt
PO Box 189, 2185 Voght Street
Merritt, BC V1K 1B8
Or by email: email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Date Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017
Posting Expires: Thursday, November 30, 2017