Merritt, A Lifestyle Community: “The Country Music Capital of Canada” with a population of approximately 7,000 is inviting applications for the position of a Driver of all Trucks for the Commercial Garbage Truck. A great place to live, work and play! Merritt is located in the beautiful Nicola Valley, at the crossroads of the Coquihalla highways, centrally located between Kelowna and Kamloops while only a three (3) hour drive from downtown Vancouver. The community of Merritt is rich in culture and arts, affords year round recreation and community facilities to meet every need. The climate is moderate.
Under the general supervision of the Superintendent of Public Works, the Driver (All Trucks) (Commercial Garbage Truck) performs a variety of duties related to Public Works maintenance operations. Duties include performing pre-trip vehicle inspections and safety checks, routine maintenance, inspection, lubrication and fueling of equipment. There is a variety of work in this position including, operation of solid waste trucks, snow clearing, dump truck operation, and general maintenance activities.
The 2017 pay rate is as per the CUPE Collective Agreement.
Hours of Work
This is a permanent part-time position (twenty-four (24) hours per week) with hours of work as outlined in the CUPE Local 900 Collective Agreement.
• High School graduation.
• Demonstrated ability to operate commercial garbage truck and other moderately large vehicles safely and efficiently under difficult winter driving conditions.
• Thorough knowledge of utility and road maintenance procedures.
• Ability to execute oral and written instructions.
• Air brake endorsement.
• Demonstrated Class 3 Driver’s License with minimum two (2) years driving experience.
• Ability to work independently under pressure, set priorities and meet deadlines.
• Excellent communication skills (oral and written) as well as the ability to deal with the public and coworkers in a diplomatic and courteous manner.
• Knowledge and operation of a commercial garbage truck.
• Demonstrated experience in delivering superior customer service and working within a team environment.
• Minimum two (2) years of public works operational experience, preferably in a local government setting.
Current resumes reflecting applicants’ knowledge, skills and abilities relevant to the position and a current drivers’ abstract will be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m., Thursday, November 30, 2017 to:
Deputy Clerk/Human Resources Manager
City of Merritt
PO Box 189, 2185 Voght Street
Merritt, BC V1K 1B8
Or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Date Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017
Posting Expires: Thursday, November 30, 2017