The City of Merritt is looking for an energetic, dedicated individual to fill the role of Director of Recreation and Facilities on our senior management leadership team. The team’s role is to effectively lead the continuous organizational and process improvement that is part of success in governance and administration.
Merritt is located in the Nicola Valley in South Central British Columbia adjacent to major transportation routes. Forestry, agriculture and tourism are major economic drivers. Major improvements in hydro-electric supply and connectivity have enhanced opportunities for industrial and manufacturing growth.
This position reports to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO). The Director will shepherd a vital and diverse portfolio of recreation services workers and direct the maintenance of existing buildings and construction of new facilities. The incumbent will advise the CAO, the Council and senior staff on issues and trends in recreation and recreation programming, and ensure facilities are functioning and up-to-date.
We are looking for a natural leader who:
• has demonstrated integrity, ethics, confidentiality and professionalism in their work in the public and political environment
• is engaging and comfortable working with the public, fellow staff and council
• is a creative and strategic thinker who applies forethought in all decision-making processes
• enjoys the detail work of municipal administration, but doesn’t get mired in it
• and most importantly . . . has the drive to lead others to succeed!
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• A bachelor’s degree in recreation management or a directly related field
• A solid understanding of municipal recreation services, pool and arena operations, recreation and cultural programming and labour relations in a union environment
• Five years of progressively responsible municipal service with at least two years of directly relevant experience
• Experience liaising with community groups, cultural organizations and sports groups
• Completion of a Local Government Administration education program is desirable
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated technical competence
The City offers a competitive salary with a comprehensive benefits package for this senior management position.
Applications will be reviewed commencing January 2, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
Please forward resume, cover letter & requests for information to:
Shawn Boven, Chief Administrative Officer