Merritt, A Lifestyle Community: “The Country Music Capital of Canada” with a population of approximately 7,000 is inviting applications for the position of Casual Maintenance / Labourers. A great place to live, work and play! Merritt is located in the beautiful Nicola Valley, at the crossroads of the Coquihalla highways, centrally located between Kelowna and Kamloops while only a three (3) hour drive from downtown Vancouver. The community of Merritt is rich in culture and arts, affords year round recreation and community facilities to meet every need. The climate is moderate.
Under the general supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor, applications are invited for the position of Casual Maintenance / Labourers. The Department of Recreation & Facilities provides programs, services and events for residents at four (4) major facilities: Nicola Valley Aquatic Centre (NVAC), Nicola Valley Memorial Arena (NVMA), Merritt Civic Centre (MCC) and Claybanks RV Park. Department staff is also responsible for operating several other facilities and venues; for facilitating opportunities at the City’s parks, for event planning and for coordinating special events.
The Casual Maintenance/Labourer position performs duties which include but are not limited to: adhering to policies, procedures and safe work guidelines including personal protective equipment requirements, empties and transports garbage, recycling and compost receptacles from City facilities, ensures exemplary customer service and community relations, ensures safe and welcoming environments, fosters a culture of safety in the workplace, lifts and carries heavy objects repetitively, performs light carpentry, painting and mechanical work, safeguards confidential information, sets-up and takes-down tables, chairs, staging, audio-visual and other equipment and performs other duties to prepare spaces and works cooperatively and collaboratively.
Hours of Work
The hours of work for this position vary based on the needs of the community. Casual employees are called dependent on the needs of the Department.
Rate of pay
The rate of pay for this position is defined in the CUPE Collective Agreement. The 2017 rate of pay is $26.06 per hour plus fourteen (14%) per cent in lieu of benefits.
Essential qualifications include:
• A relevant post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree and/or the possession of a skilled tradesperson’s ticket/license;
• Successful completion of the following courses (or equivalents): Aboriginal Cultural Relations, Building Service Worker, Ladder Training, Special Events Risk Management, Standard First Aid with CPR-C and AED, Vulnerable Populations and WHIMS;
• Work experience which includes building renovation and working with building operations/HVAC systems.
Preferred qualifications include:
• A current BC Driver’s License;
• Computer literacy;
• Ability to document accurately and communicate effectively in English;
• Ability to perform in a manner consistent with the City of Merritt’s Mission Statement in a manner which exemplifies the Department of Recreation & Facilities Service Standards;
• The ability to submit a Police Information Check and a Vulnerable Sector Search, submission of a driver’s abstract and submission of a secondary school diploma or equivalent which the City of Merritt deems acceptable whenever requested to do so;
• Ability to work proactively; demonstrate mechanical aptitude, multi-task, demonstrate a commitment to working safely and prove a track record of working safely;
• Ability to work quickly and accurately with minimal supervision;
• Work experience which includes working with hand tools, power tools and on ladders.
Current resumes reflecting applicants’ knowledge, skills and abilities relevant to the position and detailing education, qualifications and proof of required licenses/certificates/degrees will be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m., Thursday, November 30, 2017 by:
Deputy Clerk/Human Resources Manager
P.O. Box 189,
2185 Voght St.
Merritt, BC V1K 1B8
Or by e-mail: email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Date Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017
Posting Expires: Thursday, November 30, 2017