Merritt, A Lifestyle Community: “The Country Music Capital of Canada” with a population of approximately 7,000 is inviting applications for Lifeguard/Instructors I. A great place to live, work and play! Merritt is located in the beautiful Nicola Valley, at the crossroads of the Coquihalla highways, centrally located between Kelowna and Kamloops while only a three (3) hour drive from downtown Vancouver. The community of Merritt is rich in culture and arts, affords year round recreation and community facilities to meet every need. The climate is moderate.
These casual positions at the Nicola Valley Aquatic Centre includes regular lifeguarding, light maintenance, cashier and instructional responsibilities, assisting with the training and supervision of aquatic staff, supervision of the aquatic facilities in the absence of the Aquatic Supervisor and assisting in the planning and delivery of special events Work involves observing and exercising control over the activities of the public and patrons in supervised swimming areas at the Nicola Valley Aquatic Centre; rescuing bathers in distress; administering resuscitation or first aid as required; teaching and evaluating a variety of water safety, lifesaving and specialized aquatic instructional programs; cleaning and disinfecting aquatic facilities; and monitoring and adjusting water treatment equipment. The successful candidates must exercise courtesy, tact, diplomacy and have very good communication skills.
The rate of pay is as per the Collective Agreement
Hours of Work
These casual positions are scheduled as required and will include various shifts including mornings, afternoons and evenings.
• National Lifeguard Service Pool Option Certification
• Standard First Aid/ CPR Level ‘C’
• Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Certification
• Lifesaving Instructor Certification
• Pool Operators Level 1 and II
• Red Cross Water Safety Instructor-Trainer
• Life Saving Society Instructor-Trainer
• National Lifeguard Service Instructor
• First Aid Instructor
• BCRPA recognized certified Aqua-Fit Instructor
• Lifeguarding related activities and duties
• Light maintenance and janitorial work as required
• Provides information and assistance to inquiring public in regards to aquatic programs
• Routine cashier duties
• Instructional responsibilities including specialized aquatic related leadership programs
• Relief Supervision of Aquatic staff/programs/facility in the absence of the Aquatic Supervisor
• Assist Aquatic Supervisor in Aquatic staff training
• Assist Aquatic Supervisor in the planning and delivery of Special Events
Resumes attached to a cover letter along with photocopies of certifications will be accepted by the undersigned prior to 4:00 PM on Monday, December 11, 2017
Deputy Clerk/Human Resources Manager
City of Merritt
PO Box 189, 2185 Voght Street
Merritt, BC V1K 1B8
Or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
As only short-listed candidates will be contacted, we thank you in advance for your interest in this position.
Date Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017
Posting Expires: Monday, December 11, 2017