Merritt, A Lifestyle Community: “The Country Music Capital of Canada” with a population of approximately 7,000 is inviting applications for the position of an Arena & Municipal Facilities Manager. A great place to live, work and play! Merritt is located in the beautiful Nicola Valley, at the crossroads of the Coquihalla highways, centrally located between Kelowna and Kamloops while only a three (3) hour drive from downtown Vancouver. The community of Merritt is rich in culture and arts, affords year round recreation and community facilities to meet every need. The climate is moderate.
The City is seeking to employ an experienced professional with an entrepreneurial spirit to innovatively manage the overall operation at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena and the operations at our other municipal facilities. Those facilities include baseball diamonds, concession stands, Merritt City Hall, Merritt Civic Centre, a multi-use sports box, office buildings, outdoor concert venues, public restrooms, soccer pitches and sports fields..
Under the general supervision of the Director of Recreation & Facilities, the Arena & Municipal Facilities Manager coordinates, assigns and supervises the daily work related to the department.
Required Qualification and Experience
• Post-secondary education in recreation facility management or a closely related field
• Demonstrated work experience which includes ice making and arena supervision/management
• Successful completion of the following courses or equivalents:
o Aboriginal Cultural Relations
o Arena Ice Worker
o Building Service Worker
o Ice Facility Operator
o Refrigeration Operator
o Refrigeration Safety Awareness
o Special Events Risk Management
o Standard First Aid with CPR-C and AED
o Vulnerable Populations
• Ability to balance a prescribed budget annually
• Ability to make, maintain and remove ice and the ability to train teammates to do so competently
• Ability to manage the overall assigned operation in accordance with established policies, procedures and the Collective Agreement
• Ability to mitigate risks associated with participation in recreation, leisure and sports activities and in operating indoor and outdoor facilities
• Ability to perform in a manner consistent with the City of Merritt’s Mission Statement and in a manner which exemplifies the Department of Recreation & Facilities Services Standards
• Ability to work with local sport organizations and other local service providers amid competing priorities and deliver “win-win” solutions, especially when considering facility allocation requests
• Minimum three to five years recent experience in a similar position, preferably in a local government setting.
The City offers a competitive salary with a comprehensive benefits package for this management position.
Current resumes reflecting applicants’ knowledge, skills and abilities relevant to the position and detailing education, qualifications, experience and knowledge and proof of required licenses/certificates/degrees will be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m., Wednesday, November 15, 2017 by:
Carole Fraser, Deputy Clerk/Human Resources Manager
City of Merritt
PO Box 189, 2185 Voght Street, Merritt, BC V1K 1B8
Or by email: email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Date Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017
Posting Expires: Wednesday, November 15, 2017