By order of the Provincial Health Officer (PHO), effective September 13, 2021, people 12 and older will be required to present proof of vaccination to access certain events, services, and businesses. This order will apply to some programs and services offered by the City of Merritt’s Recreation and Facilities Department including indoor adult fitness and sport, and indoor events with more than 50 participants.
The City of Merritt will adhere to all public health orders for the health and safety of our staff and the community at large. Staff are working with all third-party users and sports teams to ensure the vaccination requirement is upheld.
Individuals must have at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine by September 13, 2021 and must be fully vaccinated by October 24 to access certain events, services, and businesses. People who are 19 and older will need to present proof of identity.
Proof of vaccination is not required if you are:
- At City Hall
- Voting in-person in the September 20 federal election or at advance polling places
- A child or youth (21 and under) participating in an indoor registered or general admission recreation activity or sport
- An adult (22 and older) coach, volunteer or parent/caregiver who is required for an indoor child or youth activity or sport
- Participating in an aquatics program or general swim
- Participating in public skate
- A person 11 and under
Proof of vaccination is required if you are:
- An adult (22 and older) participating in an indoor sport, fitness, or physical activity
- An adult (22 and older) participating in an indoor event with more than 50 people
- Anyone 12 and older watching an indoor sporting event that is ticketed or more than 50 people
- Anyone 12 and older attending an indoor event of more than 50 people
Additional information related to Recreation services in Merritt:
- This includes the requirement for masks to be worn in all indoor public spaces, and restrictions on the maximum size and type of recreation programs that are permitted.
- Pre-registration for fitness centres and programs will continue until further notice.
- COVID 19 Safety Plan will be required for all 3rd party users and will need to include plans for vaccine verification and spectator management if the group wishes to have spectators.
We will accept both printed and digital proof of Vaccine Cards.
The City of Merritt has zero tolerance for abusive and aggressive behaviour towards city staff. If you are deemed to be behaving inappropriately, you will be required to leave the premises immediately. We are here to help you.
For more information on how to obtain a Vaccine Card, please visit https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html or contact 1-833-838-2323.